25 February 2012

Radical Lounge, Kai SU Bar

Saturday night Radical Lounge made it's Kai debut.  Having had a number of events in previous venues (mainly the Goals center at Suffolk New College) the new venue provided a different environment for performances and to engineer and enjoy the Radical Lounge.  


The Kai student union bar, for University Campus Suffolk, is a fairly unique 'L' shape.  With the stage, made from three steel deck pieces, placed in the corner of the 'L' shape, with the mixer placed on the oposite side of the curve.  The audience backing up each side of the 'L' gave me an unobscured view of the stage, meaning I could keep track of what was happening on stage with ease.  


With the sound system I used being rented, I had to get to grips with the Tascam DM-24 digital desk that was provided pretty quick.  With a normally very handy function that can recall presets turned my sound check into a nightmare! Without me realising, a blank preset was selected, and me hitting the recall button wiped my check clean, along with all the routing settings.  With some panic and a call to the owner of the desk, the solution was to find a preset that had the routing needed and reset all the EQ and send levels manually.  I got my head around it, and redone the sound check.  


I need to thank the Radical Lounge House Band musicians and everyone else who turned up of the set up.  While I was fiddling around and getting to grips with the desk, these guys set up their equipment, then moved onto setting up the stage mic's, then wiring them into the multicore.  Without that help I don't think I could have managed to be ready in time we were.  Many thanks.